Athlete's Foot Treatment
Most cases of athlete's foot can be treated at home with over-the-counter creams, lotions, or sprays. If these are ineffective, you should come in and see us. We may need to prescribe special pills or topical treatments to help you get rid of it.
Athlete's foot is highly contagious. You must treat it as such and keep the area clean and covered so that it does not touch other people or surfaces.
If you have diabetes and suspect that you have an athlete's foot, then you must be seen by a podiatrist. Diabetes and athlete's foot are a dangerous combination.
Preventing Athlete's Foot
To prevent a reoccurrence of athlete's foot, always finish the full course of any medicine recommended by your doctor. The fungus can continue to live on your skin even after your symptoms are gone. Your chances of eliminating athlete's foot the first time around are better when you use the medicine for the prescribed amount of time.
Other ways to prevent athlete's foot include:
- Wash feet with soap and water, then dry them thoroughly.
- Make sure your feet are thoroughly dry before putting on shoes and socks. If you are tracking moisture into your shoes from the shower, you provide an ideal environment for fungus to flourish.
- Use anti-fungal foot powder daily.
- Don't share socks, shoes, or towels.
- Don't go barefoot in public places, especially showers, locker rooms, and pools.
- Make sure your socks are made of breathable cotton, wool, or synthetic fibers that absorb sweat.
- Wear shoes or sandals that allow your feet to breathe.
- Change your socks daily or whenever sweaty feet have made your socks moist.
Are You Suffering From Athlete's Foot In The Caldwell Or Meridian, Idaho Area?
If you're suffering from athlete's foot you owe it to yourself to speak with our experienced podiatrists as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact us online or call our office directly at 208.855.5955 to schedule your appointment. We service all areas surrounding Meridian, Idaho as well as all areas in the Caldwell, Idaho area. We look forward to helping you!