Symptoms of Lisfranc Injuries
Lisfranc injuries are associated with pain, swelling, bruising, tenderness, and difficulty walking. Here are some of the possible symptoms of a Lisfranc injury:
- Pain is usually the first symptom of a Lisfranc injury and can range from mild to severe. It may be localized in the midfoot area or around the arch of the foot.
- Swelling, bruising, and tenderness are also common symptoms. You may notice these signs at the site of your injury or along the top of your foot.
- Difficulty walking, especially when putting weight on the injured foot, is another common symptom of a Lisfranc injury. You may experience an inability to stand or walk normally due to pain and instability in the midfoot area.
Lisfranc Injuries: Diagnosis and Care
Lisfranc joint injuries are uncommon, difficult to diagnose, and frequently misdiagnosed. A podiatrist is the most qualified to diagnose a Lisfranc injury.
During a physical examination, we will assess your foot's range of motion and stability. We may also check for any tenderness or swelling in the midfoot area. Imaging tests such as an X-ray or MRI can also help us diagnose a Lisfranc injury. These tests provide a detailed look at the bones and ligaments in your foot, allowing us to identify any injury damage accurately.
Treatment may include:
- Rest and immobilization with a walking boot or cast to allow the injury to heal without putting too much pressure on the foot.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Physical therapy exercises to help strengthen the muscles and ligaments in your midfoot.
- Surgery if the injury is severe or not responding to other treatments. This may involve repairing or reconstructing ligaments or fusing bones together.
Are You Suffering From A Lisfranc Injury In The Caldwell Or Meridian, Idaho Area?
If you're suffering from a Lisfranc injury you owe it to yourself to speak with our experienced podiatrists as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact us online or call our office directly at 208.855.5955 to schedule your appointment. We service all areas surrounding Meridian, Idaho as well as all areas in the Caldwell, Idaho area. We look forward to helping you!